Dear, whoever first created the #Augtober hashtag: thank you for telling the truth.
This recipe is quick to make, and can easily be doubled. It's healthy. It's gluten-free. It's a crowd-pleaser. The leftovers are tasty. Everyone wins.
It even makes radish-haters like radishes!
The original recipe came from CookingLight, but we quickly changed things up. Most notably: we swapped out the couscous for quinoa.
Here's the version you'll get at Casa Kalinauskas:
|Quinoa Chicken Salad||
- 2 cups chicken broth (no sodium added)
- 1 box uncooked quinoa
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked in olive oil and cubed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced radishes
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted in dry skillet over med-high heat
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, using chicken broth instead of water.
- In the meantime, cook chicken (or just use leftovers), prepare vegetables and toast pine nuts.
- Let the quinoa cool for a few minutes, then combine quinoa, chicken, vegetables and pine nuts in a large bowl.
- In a small container, whisk together oil, vinegar, spices and garlic. Drizzle over salad, stir to combine.
- Serve in pitas (optional; not gluten-free) with arugula, cucumber slices and tzatziki.