Sometimes I'll feed my husband a vegan meal and he won't even notice. Those meals usually involve quinoa. One of our favourite (and super-easy) summer meals is Gina's Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley.
I like to eat mine out of a bowl — with a little sliced avocado on top.
Matt likes to put the salad into a wrap with some mayo, avocado and a chopped chipotle pepper.
One salad, two happy people.
Here's my variation of the recipe.
|Southwestern Quinoa Salad||
- 1 can black beans (no salt added)
- 1 can corn (no salt added)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 box quinoa (I use President's Choice Organics, 225g), made according to package instructions
- juice from 1 lime
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- In a large bowl, mix together the beans, corn, red pepper, mango, onion, jalapeño, cilantro and quinoa.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad. Toss well.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Tastes even better on Day 2.
See the original recipe here.