Matt is the crouton man. He even has a theme song. (Seriously. It's catchy.) But not every salad needs garlicky oil-soaked chunks of toasted goodness. Especially when you're eating salad in an effort to be super-healthy for the
week, day, hour.
I made a nutritionist-approval-worthy salad for lunch today. Because the fridge was filled with veggies. And because we went to the Mandarin last night and were craving...non-grease. Eat on its own, on a bed of greens, with tortilla chips, or in a wrap.
(I should have taken a picture of it. But I was hungry. Almost hangry, even.)
|"Tastes Like Summer" Salad||
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- drizzle of white wine vinegar
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Dice and chop as indicated above.
- Toss everything together in a large bowl.
- Enjoy — and feel good about yourself. Then eat chocolate.
My life motto: When in doubt, add avocado.
Related: A favourite salad at our place is SkinnyTaste's California Grilled Chicken Avocado and Mango Salad. Your guests/husband will never know you're eating light.
[avocado painting: TheJoyofColor Etsy shop]