Baby, it's cold outside. What the heck?! We're wearing layers today. And eating 'em, too.
Here's my mom's 7-layer salad. It tastes like my childhood.
Unlike her, I did NOT make my own pita bread. (Mom, how on earth did you have time to make pita pockets with three little kids running around?!)
|Mom's 7-Layer Salad||
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, shredded
- 1-1.5 cups chopped celery
- 16 oz. frozen peas (DON'T YOU DARE COOK 'EM)
- 2 cups mayonnaise (sometimes less)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped ham
- pitas, with pockets
- Layer ingredients — in order — in a large bowl. Do not mix.
- Cut pitas in half. Stuff with salad.
- Eat. And then eat more.
Tastes great made a day ahead and covered in fridge.