a few many requests for this recipe, so I thought I’d post it here and then send friends the link — like a nerd — whenever asked.
Warning: Once you start snacking on these, you can’t stop. And then your pants will start to feel tight. And you’ll blame your dryer, as you should. (Yes, nuts are healthy. But ALL THE NUTS are not. Sigh. Portion control sucks.)
Shout out to Martha Stewart, without whom this version would not be possible. (Just don’t follow her recipe exactly if you like mine. Hers are impossibly spicy.)
If you don’t have allspice — I didn’t the first few times I made these — make this easy substitute: equal parts cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg.
|Aww, (Spiced) Nuts!||
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- just under 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 to 4 cups nuts: an even mix of roasted unsalted cashews, raw pecans, walnuts and almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat egg white until soft and foamy. Add all remaining ingredients (except nuts) and whisk into egg white.
- Stir in nuts until well coated. Spread nut mixture in single layer on (engrossed) baking sheet.
- Bake nuts for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir and separate nuts.
- Reduce oven to 250 degrees.
- Return nuts to oven, bake about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven. Stir and separate nuts again.
- Place baking sheet on wire rack to cool. They will harden as they cool.
- Break apart any nut clusters and store in airtight container. Or just eat them all. Whatever.